Welcome to the code challenge for "The Complete Ruby on Rails Developer Course" on Udemy
Summary: This past holiday season I struggled to get addresses together in an organized way for family and friends so I could easily mail greeting cards. The most common issues I faced were:
- The addresses I had in my address book were old
- I had received updated addresses but not put them in any central repository of any kind, so ended up with multiple addresses from multiple sources for the same people - not knowing which was the current
- I didn't have addresses at all
These were just some of the highlights, so I resorted to texting and emailing multiple people and of course I forgot a lot of them in the process. Therefore, for this code challenge we will solve the issue by building an address management solution for friends and family - Detailed requirements below.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. - Leonardo da Vinci
The main functions of the app are:
- I should be able to see Names, Addresses for family and friends (hint: alpha blog)
- I should be able to search for addresses in a search box - either by name or email address (hint: stock tracker)
- I should be able to click a button to print a label for the address in good format - or multiple addresses per page (extra credit). I should be able to edit the name field, or add & family of this address label, the default should be the account holders first and last name
The supporting functions you'll need to implement in order to offer this:
- Family members or friends should be able to create accounts for themselves in the app (both devise or regular authentication system built from scratch accepted, email authentication extra credit)
- They should be able to add First Name, Last Name, MI, Address
- Address should be in the format of Address 1, Address 2, City, Zip and Country
- Optional - Telephone numbers
- They should be able to edit their information
- They should be able to delete their information
- Only family members or friends themselves will be able to edit their own information, however, address information can be seen by other family members or friends
- All members should have access to the main functions of the app listed above
- Only you (the admin, or anyone else you designate as admin) should be able to remove people's accounts
- Only you (the admin, or anyone else you designate as admin) should be able to edit/update other people's information
- Extra (a lot) of points given to good styling
- Extra points for good code practices
- Extra points for good user experience
- This can be a group project, maximum 4 members per group
- Competition begins January 25th, 2017 and ends February 15, 2017. All code must be submitted by then in the google doc here - submissions are closed
- You can use code from the course github repo's as you see fit but please don't copy paste directly
- You can use the live chat to get partners for your group
- TA (Sasikala), myself or Evgeny cannot be used as a resource for help
What happens if you win?
Winner will receive -
- Educational announcement with their code repo and names (group and individual) to all my students on Udemy
- A tweet announcing their amazing work with app link
- Linked in post from me with their app link and webpage (optional)
- Bragging rights!
Enter in details of your code and group info in the google doc here - submissions are closed
Subscribe to my newsletter below for new course release discount coupons, updates and much more!
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!
OKSubscriptions powered by Strikingly